Sunday, April 7, 2013

Learning or decaying

LEARNING OR DECAYING

 

There is a cure for aging that no one talks about. It’s called learning. In my mind, as long as you learn something new each day, stretch your personal frontiers and improve the way you think, you cannot grow old. Aging only happens to people who lose their lust for getting better and disconnect from their natural base of curiosity. “Every three or four years I pick a new subject. It may be Japanese art; it may be economics. Three years of study are by no means enough to master a subject but they are enough to understand it. So for more than 60 years I have kept studying one subject at a time,” said Peter Drucker, father of modern management who lived until he was 95. Brilliant guy.

 

Last year, I had the joy of spending a couple of hours in conversation with Shimon Peres, the former Israeli Prime minster and Nobel Peace Prize winner. He was nearly 82 at the time, and I couldn’t help but notice that his eyes actually sparkled as he spoke of his love of books, big ideas and learning. I asked: “Mr Peres, when do you read?” His reply: “Robin, when don’t I read? I read when I get up in the morning, when I can during the day and every single evening. Most of my weekends are spent reading great books. Books are my constant companions.” He then added with a smile: “If you eat three times a day you’ll be fed. But if you read three times a day you’ll be wise”.

 

Too many people never pick up a book after they’ve finished school. Unbelievable. Too many people spend more time watching TV then getting deep inside the minds of the greatest people who have walked the planet. Too many people have closed their minds to new insights and powerful thoughts. One idea read/discovered in one book could transform the way you see the world.

“There’s a cure for aging that no one talks about. It’s called learning.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment