Sunday, April 1, 2012

Word Hard, get lucky

WORK HARD, GET LUCKY

 

That old line remains so true: “the harder I work, the luckier I get,” Life helps those who help themselves. Learned that one from personal experience. I’m not one of those who believes that “it’s all meant to be” and that our lives have been scripted by an invisible set of hands. Sure I believe that there’s a force of nature that comes into play when we least expect it ( most need it). And yes, I believe there is a coherence to the way our lives unfold that is highly intelligent. But I also believe – deeply – that we were given free will and the power to make choices for a single reason: to exercise then. I believe that we generally get from life what we give to life. I believe that good things happened to those willing to put in the effort, exercise discipline and make the sacrifices that personal and professional greatness requires – no, demands. I’ve also found that actions have consequences and the more good things I do – through good old hard work – the more success I see. Life favors the devoted.

 

Not one of the uber-successful people I’ve worked with as a leadership coach got there without outworking everyone around them. While others were home watching TV or sleeping, these great ones – who have made their mark on the world and have added tremendous value to it – were up early, putting in the hours, showing life that they were dedicated to their dream. In addition, they are also able maintain a reasonable amount of work life balance, more importantly spending quality time with their loved ones or for their inner self. Behind these extra-ordinary achievements you will always discover extra-ordinary efforts. Just a law of nature. Hasn’t changed for thousands of years.

 

Ivan Seindenberg, the chairman and CEO of Verizon, tells the following story: “My first boss – he was the building superintendent and I was a janitor – watched me sweep floors and wash walls for almost a year before he mentioned I could get tuition for college if I got a job with the phone company. When I asked him why he waited for so long, he said: “ I wanted to see if you were worth it”

 

And Time Warner CEO Dick Parsons once observed that the best advice he ever got was from his grandmother. She told him: “whatever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.” So plant your seeds. Be spectacularly greatly at what you do. Wear your passion on your sleeve and hold your heart in the palm of your hand. And work hard. Really hard. Hard work opens doors and shows the world that you are serious about being one of those rare – and special – human beings that uses the fullness of their talents for the highest and the very best.

 

“Be spectacularly greatly at what you do”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment