Monday, November 14, 2011

I'm Stretching Too


I know I encourage you to push the envelope. To innovate. To elevate. To step up to the next level with the work you do and within the life you have the privilege to lead. And I know I talk a lot about running to your fears (remember that most of the stuff we are afraid of never even comes close to happening) and hugging your discomfort. Well, I do my best to do the same. Here’s an example.

I just spent two days last week in a recording studio. For a long time I’ve had the dream of making music with a powerful message. I used to play guitar in a rock band in law school (poorly yet passionately) and I needed to get back to that love. And you know this: There will never be the ideal time to do the dreams in your heart. So I took a risk. (Al Pacino recently told Larry Kind, “You will only be as good as the chances you take.”) I reached out to the two amazing partners at the Orange Record Label and shared my vision. Guess what, “no ask, no get”. They signed me to a deal. Immediately.

These past two days found me in a studio with some of the most creative people I’ve ever met. Writers and musicians. Visionaries and dreamers. All banded together to help me create brilliant music that will inspire people to make their lives extraordinary. Genuine works of art. I had to sing (stop laughing). I had to play guitar. I had to let go of my safe harbor and be a beginner again. “How was it?” you ask. Breathtakingly great. (If you want to seem playing, watch the CNN clip at robinsharm.com). I was scared, excited, joy-filled and delighted. I trembled. And I laughed. It was a experience I’ll never forget – one that is part of the personal story I call life. So get out there. Risk. Ask. Dream. Dare. Fall. Fail. And never let anyone tell you that your dreams can’t come true. Eventually someone’s going to do what you dream of doing. Why not you?

“Never let anyone tell you that your dreams can’t come true. Eventually someone’s going to do what you dream of doing. Why not you?”

(these are not my thoughts J and are copied from Robin’s book)

No comments:

Post a Comment