Monday, July 18, 2011

Believe in Others


I took my kids to see Hilary Swamk’s move Freedom Writers. It inspired me deeply. Brought tears to my eyes. Made me want to be and do and give more. Made me want to improve things. Profoundly.

One of the things I took away from the film is that the leadership is all about believing in others (and yourself) when no one else does. The kids in the movie were gang members. Tough lives. Hard hearts. But their teacher saw them for what they truly were: smart/good/caring human beings who’d been knocked down and had given up. The school wouldn’t even give them new books – didn’t think they were worth it. But their teacher did. Treated them with respect. Bought the books herself (worked two extra jobs to do it). She challenged them. Celebrated them. Believed in them. And they transformed. Because when you see the best in the people, they’ll give you their best.

I’ve seen it happen in organizations around the world. Develop, honor and inspire people, and they will fly. As the wonderful teacher Leo Buscaglia once said, “Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind world, a listening ear, an honest compliment or the smallest act of caring – all of which have the potential to turn a life around”.

“Leadership is all about believing in others (and yourself) when no one else does”

No comments:

Post a Comment